Electronic Sports, or Esports, takes on the form of organized, multiplayer online video game competitions and is one of the fastest growing trends for youth engagement. Through the Y’s Esports program, youth are welcome to be who they are, excel at what they love, and develop the social, strategic and problem-solving skills necessary to grow into thriving adults all in a safe, moderated and inclusive environment.
When and where will eSports matches take place?
Players will participate from their home devices. Matches will be scheduled on a weekly basis Monday-Thursday evenings. Players that have a conflict with their scheduled match can work with opponent to reschedule match times. All players must complete match within 48 hours after scheduled match’s original scheduled time.
Do I have to be a YMCA Member?
No, the league is open to anyone in 6th-8th grade. YMCA members will receive a discounted registration fee, but everyone is welcome.
Does the YMCA supply equipment?
All players will play from their own equipment for Sports tournaments. Systems can include Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PlayStation or PC.
Why should I support my child in their interest of gaming and eSports?
YMCA eSports promotes the development of values through a progressive program stressing skill development, fun, physical fitness, and friendly competition. All youth have an opportunity to play and families are encouraged to participate. Additional benefits include:
– Improved hand-eye coordination
– Improved attention & visual acuity
– Improved basic visual processing and executive function.
– Problem-solving & strategy skill development
– 71% of parents report gaming having net positive effects for children.
– Boosts self-confidence and player socialization.
– 54% of gamers say gaming helps them connect with friends.
– In the span of just five years, over 125 higher education institutions have created collegiate Esports programs including local colleges – John Wood Community College and Culver Stockton College
– More than thirty U.S. colleges and universities offer scholarships for gamers
Reach out to us with questions (email@example.com) and get signed up before all the spots are filled.