Where the Youth of America Learn to Swim
The Quincy Family YMCA is the leader in group swim lessons and believes learning to swim should be a requirement for every child in our community. Swim lessons not only keep kids safe in the water, they also build self-esteem and confidence. All of our participants gain a greater understanding of not only the strokes, but also safety, rescue skills, and water activities they can enjoy for a lifetime.
Thanks to some amazing grant funding we will be offering FREE lessons in the upcoming months. Registration will be opening soon.
Water Babies – (average age 6 months–3yrs)
- Parents or care giver will join their child in the water, and the focus is on getting familiar with water and introducing basic swimming skills such as submersion, back floating, kicking and reaching
- This class is best if your child isn’t comfortable in the water by themselves
Level 1 – Introduction to Water Skills (average age 3-6yrs)
- Beginner Swim Instruction for kids comfortable in the water
- Swimmers learn basics of swimming: bobbing, going under water, supported front and back floating, supported rolling over from front to back and back to front, supported gliding, supported flutter kick, supported front crawl arms and jumping in.
Level 2 – Fundamentals of Aquatic Skills (average age ranges from 4-9yrs)
- Swimmers should already be able to float on their front and back, put their head under water, and typically can swim for short distances
- Swimmers will work on: independent front and back floating, independent rolling over from front to back and back to front, independent front and back glides, front crawl arms and kicks, back crawl arms and kicks, retrieving underwater objects, and jumping into water over their head.
Level 3-4 – Swim Stroke Development (average age 5-6yrs+)
- Swimmers should already be somewhat comfortable swimming front stroke and swimming on their back, and typically can swim distances of at least ½ pool length.
- Swimmers will work on: gliding, freestyle with side breathing, backstroke, breast stroke and dolphin kicks, retrieving objects in deeper water, treading water, jumping into deep water and compact dives.
- Personalized instruction will be provided based on your child’s ability
For those that prefer one-on-one instruction and to give each child the best opportunity to swim at his or her own pace. Stroke advancement is a large focus. Instructors are tailored to the participant’s needs and availability. Openings for new students of ALL ages and abilities are most afternoons, evenings, and Saturday mornings.
Private and semi-private lessons include six half-hour lessons per session. Contact our staff to schedule private lessons or for any other questions regarding swim lessons.